Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rahman talks about Grammys and couples retreat

A R Rahman, the most talked about Indian in 2009, is counting down to the 52nd Grammy Awards. They’re being held on January 31, at LA, and the Oscarwinning music composer has won two nominations for his soundtrack from Slumdog Millionaire.

The Oscar-winning song Jai Ho has been nominated for ‘Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media’, while the film’s soundtrack for ‘Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media’. Rahman, naturally, is pleased. While he’s aware the Oscar Awards for Slumdog Millionaire required a whole lot of lobbying, the Grammy needs no such push. “All I’ve to do is wait and watch what happens. The Grammy is as exciting as the Oscar. It’s the ultimate music award, isn’t it? Although it’s a nomination for a film song, the Grammy is still another shot in the arm for Jai Ho. Any recognition is welcome. Jai Ho is an important song,” he says.

Not strangely, he feels a huge sense of responsibility. “I hope I never let my country, my people, my music, my family and myself down,” says the music genius who has just returned home after being in his “other base” — Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, he has mixed emotions about the outcome of his first Hollywood soundtrack. “The music of Couples Retreat got a good response. But I feel my music was not used properly. It was a comedy. I guess you can’t expect music to have much of a place in a comedy. They were more into laughter than music,” he complains, adding, “Yes, all the music has been used; but not in the way my fans would expect. But, I was prepared for the outcome when I entered this project.” So, does that mean he’s not really disappointed by his first foray into Hollywood? “If I had waited for the perfect Hollywood vehicle, I might have had to wait endlessly. It’s not easy for an Asian to enter into Hollywood camps. It’s a new beginning for me. And, I got great reviews,” he explains.

Rahman’s got a lot of offers but also has a tough schedule this year to be able to give any more time to new commitments. And, contrary to rumours, acting is not one of his forthcoming commitments. “That’s completely false news,” he says, shocked. “I am not getting into acting. I’m only going to be speaking in a documentary on my friend, the musician P J Mortan. We’ve known each other for some time. He collaborated with me for a track in Couples Retreat. That’s it. It’s not a feature film. I’ve no aspirations to get into acting. God has given me one skill and I’m very happy with it,” he signs off."

Courtesty: http://movies.indiatimes.com/news-gossip/interviews/others/Im-waiting-for-the-Grammys-A-R-Rahman/articleshow/5409453.cms

No comments: